Wednesday, March 26, 2008

French Artillery (and Pulp Heroines!)

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


Some guns to support the King’s forces in New France (and elsewhere, I guess). Both guns and crew are from Rafm.


A couple Pulp Heroines that have been sitting on the workbench in a nearly finished state forever also got finished up… These are both from Artizan Designs.

In an attempt to reduce the number of aerosol sprays I use I’ve been experimenting with Liquitex paint on matt acrylic varnish to finish figures. It is stunningly similar is smell and consistency to water-based floor finish I’ve used to finish hardwood floors – except stunningly more expensive. I had thought of using some floor finish in the past, but never seemed to have any left over… Ah well, the bottle I bought will probably last a while.

It goes on a bit thick… I’m worried it might mute out some of the details… we shall see. It DEFINITELY DOESN”T do well OVER static grass – I tried it on one of the highlanders and it turned the static grass into a goo clump…. On these figures above I painted on the finish and then applied static grass… so I guess the static grass won’t be getting anything to help keep it on (previously I sprayed finish on AFTER applying the static grass - with no ill effects – with hopes that it would help keep said base details adhered!).… Guess I’ll just have to se how it holds up.

Anybody else out there use paint on finish?

I’ve also been experimenting with black gesso.

2 comments:

  1. I know John at Plastic Legions does: http://plasticlegions.blogspot.com/
    He has lots of pictures of his miniatures on his blog.


    He gave me some brus-on varnish last time I was at his house, but I have yet to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link Scott. I'll take a wander on over there and have a snoop around!

    ReplyDelete