Friday, March 6, 2009

Riders of Rohan

A box of Riders of Rohan arrived in the post the other day along with three Mounted Royal Guardsmen. Today a mounted Theoden arrived. Still waiting on the Mounted Eomer and Gamling.

My plan is to put together a Rohan force for Hordes of the Things. I’d like to have the force to be entirely mounted (or at least have the option to be entirely mounted… at some point I’ll probably pick up some warriors of Rohan on foot to add some spear or blade options. To start with I’d like the force to be something like this:

1 Knight General (or Hero General…?)
1-2x Knights (or hero…?)
9x Riders

I think I’ll need two more boxes of riders. I wasn’t sure how may I’d want/be able to mount on a base. The first one (see below) I put together I did two to a base. Seems fine for the Riders. With six to a box that makes three stands and a total of three boxes will give me my nine stands.

I’m still not 100% sure about the Knights. I had planned to put three on a base – to make them look like they have a denser formation and further differentiate them from the riders. One stand (the General) would have Theoden, Gamling (with the royal standard) and one mounted Royal Guardsman. The other would have Eomer with two mounted Royal Guardsmen. Of course if I did only two to a stand those six figures would give me a nice neat three stands (one Knight General, two Knights). Also, on the other hand, if I do manage to cram three on a stand I’ll have to come up with another two or three figures to make another stand of Knights or riders… or declare Theoden to be a Hero General… or make Eomer a Hero…?

Anyway here is the first stand of riders:

(Remember: click on the picture for a slightly bigger version)


These are plastic Lord of the Rings figures from Games Workshop. They are lovely – these GW/LOTR figures – I think they’re the nicest figures GW’s done in a long time.

One can’t help but wonder what the hell I am doing picking these up when I have a perfectly good Norman army to be painted that could easily stand in as riders from the Mark… It’s a sickness… I am down with it...

Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

More horsemen – Norman and Rohanians - and some Mordor Orcs

2 comments:

  1. hey, I just had a modeling question. Were there enough spears included on the sprue to arm each rider with a spear? I'd like to do some conversion work for another game, but i need them to all have spears. any reply wold be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, sorry. These aren't like other GW multi-part/multi-pose plastics - all you get is two with spear, two with bow, one sword, one axe.

    ReplyDelete